The single six-cylinder engine locomotives were built in the mid-1960s by BR?s Swindon Works, with the intention of working in shunting yards and short distance freight trains. Initially, 26 models were ordered in January 1963, expanded to 56 later that year. The mid-cab locomotives resembled the Clayton Type 1 (Class 17), but had a fixed wheel configuration ? 0-6-0 ? rather than bogies.
The Class had an extremely short working life, not because of reliability but mainly because the duties for which they were originally intended starting to diminish. However, their usefulness as shunting engines and top speed of 40mph (64 km/h) saw many sold to private industries such as iron and coal companies.
The disappearance of these industries saw many models move to preserved railways in the UK, with five being exported to Belgium and Spain. Unusually, D9504 was leased in 2005 from the Kent & East Sussex Railway to work on High Speed 1 around London, marshalling construction trains used during building of the route.
The Class 14 for Train Simulator is a former Iron Horse House model, which has been updated to TS2014 standard, including new scenarios and improved exterior modelling. The locomotive is available in BR Green livery and includes 5 Plank wagons, 7 Plank wagons and BR Brake Vans.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the BR Class 14 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the West Somerset Railway route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Four scenarios for the West Somerset Railway route:
- Simple Controls Training: Class 14
- Expert Controls Training: Class 14
- A Light Service
- Small Time Freight
- Class 14 in BR Blue and BR Green livery
- 5 Plank Wagons
- 7 Plank Wagons
- BR Brake Vans
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the West Somerset Railway route
- Download size: 223mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required