Built between 1989 and 1992 as Class 158 units, the Class 159 units were converted in the early 1990s to meet a demand on south west services to replace ageing Class 50 loco-hauled services. The Class 50 trains were not suited to the short distances between stops and suffered reliability issues.
In all, 22 units were converted into Class 159 units, incorporating modifications such as the addition of a First Class passenger section and cab modifications. The most notable improvement was a more powerful 400hp diesel engine that allowed the units to tackle some of the more challenging gradients with ease.
Class 159 DMUs are formed of a leading Driving Motor Composite vehicle, incorporating the first class section, a Motor Second trailer vehicle and a reversed Driving Motor Second vehicle. These three-car sets were often coupled in units of six vehicles, allowing them to carry some 424 passengers.
The BR Class 159 for Train Simulator is available in late Network SouthEast and South West Trains liveries, and reproduces the three-car DMU as it operated for Network SouthEast following inception in 1993 and before refurbishment in 2000, as well as in its modern South West Trains guise. Also included is an InterCity Swallow liveried High Speed Train.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Class 159 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the The Riviera Line: Exeter-Paignton route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Three scenarios for the The Riviera Line: Exeter-Paignton route:
- Extended Service
- Final Sprint
- Starcross Express
- BR Class 159 in Network SouthEast (late) livery
- BR Class 159 in South West Trains livery
- High Speed Train in InterCity Swallow livery
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for The Riviera Line: Exeter-Paignton route
- Download size: 246mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required