Born from a drive to replace worn out and ageing ALCO DL109 and Boxcab Electric locomotives, New Haven president Patrick McGinnis ordered 60 of EMD?s FL9 locomotives in 1956 to operate solely on the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad (NH).
The hybrid electro-diesel model was seen as direct competition to the less popular Fairbanks-Morse dual power P-12-42 locomotive, and was designed specifically to run under both diesel and electric power to accommodate the electrified lines running under the East River and into New York?s Grand Central Terminal.
The FL9 was considered successful, despite being underpowered when compared to the electric locomotives they replaced, and survived a number of railroad mergers that saw them eventually retired under Metro-North ownership in 2009. Despite this, a few FL9s are still in occasional revenue-generating service, whilst some have been preserved in museum collections.
The EMD FL9 for Train Simulator is available in New Haven ?McGinnis? heritage livery, as operated by the Connecticut Department of Transport in the 2000s. Features of the model including in-cab signalling as seen on the New York-New Haven line. Also included are Metro-North Shoreliner III passenger cars with passenger view, and driveable cab car.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the New Haven FL9 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the NEC: New York-New Haven route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Three scenarios for the NEC: New York-New Haven route:
- Grand Journey: Part 1
- Grand Journey: Part 2
- A Stormy Trip to the Big Apple
- EMD FL9 in New Haven McGinnis heritage livery
- In-cab signalling
- Metro-North Shoreliner III passenger cars
- Passenger view
- Driveable cab car
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the NEC: New York-New Haven route
- Download size: 180mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required