Built for British Rail between 1961 and 1962 by the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company, the 69 models in the Class initially saw use around London and in Scotland. Later in their life, the majority of the Class were permanently located in Scotland to replace ageing DMUs and the older Class 17s.
With a top speed of 90mph (145 km/h), a number of Class 27s were converted to operated push-pull services between Edinburgh and Glasgow, although they were also used for freight services as well.
The intensive, high speed running of push-pull services saw reliability begin to suffer, and the Class began to be phased out of revenue generating services from 1980 onwards. The last example was withdrawn from service in 1987, although eight Class 27s have been preserved on various heritage railways in the UK.
The Class 27 for Train Simulator is available in British Railways green livery and is a former Iron Horse House model, which has been updated to Train Simulator standard, including new scenarios and improved exterior modelling. Features include engine on/off buttons, AWS sunflower and reset, instrument and cab lighting, and BR Mk1 coaches in maroon livery.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the BR Class 27 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Western Lines of Scotland route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Four scenarios for the Western Lines of Scotland route:
- Training: Class 27 Simple Controls
- Training: Class 27 Expert Controls
- Carlisle Connection
- Green Days
- Class 27 in BR Green livery
- Engine on/off buttons
- AWS sunflower and reset
- Instrument and cab lighting
- BR Mk1 coaches in maroon livery
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Western Lines of Scotland
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required