Built by General Electric between 1987 and 1992, more than 500 Dash8-40C locomotives entered service for a number of US railroad companies. The Series was the first to be fitted with a microprocessor equipped engine control system, which was later to be adopted on a number of diesel locomotives.
With an output of 4,000hp and a top speed of 68mph (109 km/h), the Dash 8 was considered a heavy duty freight locomotive and was fitted with standard GE equipment, including dynamic braking but without display screens, preferring to retain old style gauges and dials on a tall console in the driver?s cab.
Alongside CSX Transportation and Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern originally purchased 89 units and inherited more Dash 8s from Conrail when the two railroads merged. The Dash8-40C for Train Simulator recreates the original locomotive with narrow nose as it operates for Norfolk Southern.
Features of the model include instrument and cab lighting, dynamic braking and Norfolk Southern coal gondolas.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Norfolk Southern Dash8-40C on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Norfolk Southern Coal District route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
- Training: Dash 8-40C Simple Controls
- Training: Dash 8-40C Expert Controls
- Long Haul for Alicia
- Delivery of Coal
- Dash8-40C in Norfolk Southern livery
- Dynamic braking
- Cab and instrument lighting
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Norfolk Southern Coal District route
- Download size: 57mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required