Around 4,000 models of the Dash 2 series locomotive were built between 1972 until 1989 as an upgrade to the SD40. This new version included an updated 3,000 horsepower, turbocharged 16 cylinder diesel-electric engine, with some external updates including longer front and rear ?porches? and an additional roof-mounted radiator grill.
The reliability and versatility of the Class saw many variants produced and nearly all remain in service, seeing service across the US, plus Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Guinea. The locomotive is capable of a 65mph top speed when fitted with standard gearing.
The EMD SD40-2 High Nose Long Hood Forward for Train Simulator is available in Norfolk Southern livery and features include cab lighting, step lights and dynamic braking. A number of freight wagons are also included, such as Covered Hoppers, Double Door Box Cars and Low Gondolas, alongside an ES44AC diesel locomotive in Monongahela grey livery.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Norfolk Southern SD40-2 High Nose Long Hood Forward on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Norfolk Southern Coal District route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Four scenarios for the Norfolk Southern Coal District route:
- Simple Controls Tutorial
- Expert Controls Tutorial
- Emerald Coal Run
- Powder from Pete Yard
- EMD SD40-2 Long Hood in Norfolk Southern livery
- Cab lighting
- Step lights
- Dynamic braking
- Bay Cement Car, Lumber Flat Car and Double Door Box Car
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Norfolk Southern Coal District route
- Download size: 190mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required