Originally starting life as a Class 510, the Class 455/8 was introduced in 1982 to replace the aging 4SUB and 4EPB units. Class 455/8s were part of the first batch of units to be delivered between 1982 and 1984. With all 46 Southern units allocated to Stewarts Lane Depot and 28 allocated to South West Trains at Wimbledon Depot.
Formed of four vehicles - a Driving Trailer Second Open at each end, a Motor Second Open and Trailer Second Open in between - the Class 455/8 differed in a number of ways to Class 455/7 and Class 455/9 units.
In June 2012, Southern Trains refurbished the fleet of 455/8s, retaining the original 3+2 seating layout but using high-back seats to improve passenger comfort, especially for commuters travelling long distances. The refurbishment also saw the gangway and door removed from the front of the trains, replacing them with an air conditioning unit. Other improvements included digital information boards and voiceover information systems, new inter-car doors and handrails, and new litter bins under the seats.
The BR Class 455/8 for Train Simulator is available in Southern Trains? green livery and features AWS, DRA, DSD and TPWS signalling and safety systems, engine start/stop, headlamps and tail/rear markers, cab and instrument lighting, and numberboards.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Southern Class 455/8 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the South London Network route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Three scenarios for the South London Network route:
- Between a Bridge and a Palace
- Tight in the Smoke
- Its Snow Joke
- BR Class 455/8 in Southern Trains livery
- AWS, DRA, DSD and TPWS signalling and safety systems
- Engine start/stop
- Combination throttle and brake
- Headlamps and tail/rear markers
- Cab and instrument lighting
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the South London Network route
- Download size: 102mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required