The EMD DD35 was a 5,000hp (3,700kW) diesel-electric locomotive of built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division for the Union Pacific Railroad and Southern Pacific Railroad. The DD35 was a cabless booster (B unit) locomotive that consisted of two GP35 prime movers and electrical systems, mounted on a common frame and covered with a single cowling, riding on a pair of 4-axle Flexicoil trucks. As such, each prime mover powered a single set of four axles instead of two sets of two axles, as in the GP35.
Being a ?B-unit?, the DD35 lacked any sort of cab and could only be run on the main line when connected with another ?A-unit? to control it. The four-axle truck was considered too harsh on the trackwork to be in the lead, and thus EMD?s response to UP?s request was a four-unit (instead of the requested 3-unit) locomotive set, consisting of a pair of 2,500hp GP35s sandwiching a pair of DD35s to make one 15,000hp locomotive set.
The DD35 was initially quite unreliable and were among the last EMD road units to be built with DC generators and old-fashioned switchgear, which were more maintenance intensive than later AC/DC equipment. Once teething troubles had been surmounted, the DD35 was reasonably successful but less flexible than smaller units and thus all original B units were withdrawn by 1977. The DD35A survived a little longer, until 1981.
The EMD DD35 and GP35 for Train Simulator are available in Union Pacific livery and feature cab lights, front and rear mirrors, warning lights, train brake, independent brake, front/rear ditchlights and air gauges.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Union Pacific DD35 and GP35 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Sherman Hill route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
- Four scenarios for the Sherman Hill route:
- First Day at Work
- The Cabs Have Arrived
- Working in the Rain
- Retirement Day
- EMD DD35, DD35A and GP35 in Union Pacific livery
- Freight cars, including 40ft Boxcar, Flatcar TOFC with four loads, 100t Hopper, Grain Hopper and CA-4 Caboose
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Sherman Hill route
- Download size: 515mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required