Nicknamed after the similarities in its P30CH designation, the ?Pooch? locomotives were designed around General Electric?s 3,000-horsepower U30C, but with a streamlined ?cowl? more attractive for passenger service. The P30CH was also the first Amtrak diesel locomotive built from the factory that offered Head End Power (HEP), supplied by auxiliary powerplants and alternators.
As the first Amtrak diesels equipped with HEP, the Pooches first went to work hauling short-distance Amfleet-equipped trains, then were also employed on select long-distance trains such as the Chicago-New Orleans Panama Limited and the Washington, D.C.-Savannah (Georgia) segment of the Palmetto. With Amtrak?s decision to standardize on the Electro-Motive F40PH, the P30CH was destined to become an orphan in a world of F40PHs, a fact exemplified by Amtrak?s willingness to lease the Pooches to the Southern Pacific in 1978 for Bay Area commuter service.
But the big P30CHs found a pair of regular homes that extended their operational lives into the early 1990s. One of those regular assignments was Amtrak?s Los Angeles-New Orleans Sunset Limited, which called upon pairs of the Pooches to make the nearly 2,000-mile run across the American southwest. And the other was Amtrak?s Auto-Train operation between Lorton, Virginia and Sanford, Florida. The P30CHs were finally retired in 1992.
The GE P30CH for Train Simulator recreates the locomotive in Amtrak?s ?Phase III? livery and features of the model include dynamic braking, rear and forward headlight control, gyralight, and classification lights.
Also included are a Phase III-liveried Amfleet II coach, Amfleet Café/Lounge, a Heritage Baggage car, Heritage Diner, and Heritage Dome-Coach.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Amtrak P30CH on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Miami ? West Palm Beach route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).
Three scenarios for the Miami West Palm Beach route:
- Northern Meteor Part 1
- Northern Meteor Part 2
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game
- GE P30CH in Amtrak Phase III livery
- Dynamic braking
- Rear headlight control
- Forward headlight control
- Gyralight control
- Classification lights
- Phase III Amfleet Coaches and Café/Lounge cars
- Phase III Amtrak Heritage Baggage car , Heritage Diner, and Dome-Coach
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Miami West Palm Beach route
- Download size: 331mb
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required