A member of General Electric’s “Dash 8” locomotive line that featured advanced microprocessor control for efficiency and improved reliability and modular components for ease of maintenance, the C39-8 was constructed by GE from 1984 through 1987 and 161 units (including a slightly modified C39-8E model) were constructed. Far and away the largest customer for the C39-8 was Norfolk Southern, which purchased 114 C39-8s from 1984 through 1986.
The NS C39-8 as crafted by Virtual Rail Creations is an authentic re-creation of Norfolk Southern’s distinctive units, which were configured to primarily operate long-hood forward with a single bi-directional control stand. The husky GEs were both powerful and resilient, and C39-8s served Norfolk Southern for a quarter-century before being retired in 2009.
The Norfolk Southern C39-8 is packed with realistic operating features, including cold-start options, a detailed and interactive master controller and rear-of-cab control panel, working Head-of-Train and End-of-Train devices, and Pennsylvania Railroad-style cab signals. And the locomotive is provided in clean, weathered, and snow-dressed versions of the classic Norfolk Southern livery.
You want to put this big GE diesel to work, so the pack contains four career scenarios on the Train Simulator Horseshoe Curve route (route available separately). Along with the Norfolk Southern C39-8, this pack also includes a range of rolling stock, highlighted by NS’s innovative Triple Crown 53-foot RoadRailers in two variations (smooth-side and ribbed), as well as modern 2-bay covered hoppers in Norfolk & Western and Southern liveries, and a Norfolk Southern 100-ton, three-bay coal hopper.
The Pro Range is aimed toward the serious train simulation enthusiast looking for a complex machine to master. Each product is designed to provide education and entertainment for users. Xbox controller and HUD interface support do not come as standard and users will need to read the accompanying documentation to fully understand the operation of this advanced simulation.
Four career scenarios for the Horseshoe Curve Route Add-On are included:
- The Hostler
- The Grinder
- Dynamic Help
- Road Railed
- Norfolk Southern General Electric C39-8 in clean and weathered liveries
- Advanced operating features, including engine start-up procedures and cab signals
- Working HOT and EOT devices
- Norfolk Southern Triple Crown 53-foot RoadRailers (two versions)
- 2-bay covered hopper in Norfolk & Western and Southern Railway liveries
- Norfolk Southern 100-ton open-top hopper
- Career scenarios for the Horseshoe Curve route
- Quick Drive compatible
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required