When Amtrak was formed as the United States’ intercity passenger carrier in 1971, the company was faced with patching together a fleet of second-hand locomotives. Amtrak first turned to Electro-Motive’s E8 and its younger sister, the E9. Amtrak would operate nearly 200 E-units and the stylish EMD diesels became the workhorses of the early Amtrak era.
The E8 was produced by EMD from 1949 to 1954, and nearly 500 were built. The E8 derived 2,250-horsepower from a pair of EMD 567-series V-12 power plants, rode on an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement, and could be geared to operate at up to 117 miles per hour. During Amtrak service, the E8s operated throughout the country, handling both long-distance trains as well as short-haul services. Amtrak operated its last E-units into the early 1980s.
The Train Simulator Amtrak E8 is provided in cab and booster configurations and is available in Amtrak’s original red-nosed “Phase I” livery and stylish striped “Phase II” scheme. Single- and dual-headlight versions of the E8 are provided as are “as built” and rebuilt variations.
And there’s even more! Accompanying the E8 is Amtrak passenger equipment ideal to re-create U. S. passenger trains of the 1970s and early 1980s. Included with the E8 are an Amtrak baggage car, 48-seat coach, dome-coach, 10-6 sleeper, and diner in Amtrak’s Phase I passenger car livery. The Amtrak E8 DLC features career scenarios on the Miami - West Palm Beach Route Add-On (route available separately) and even includes Train Simulator’s popular Seaboard Coast Line General Electric U36B and freight equipment to provide era-authentic freight traffic.
Amtrak’s legendary Electro-Motive E8 is ready to highball in Train Simulator service!
The Amtrak E8 comes with three brand new scenarios for the Miami - West Palm Beach Route Add-On:
- The Days of Old: Part 1
- The Days of Old: Part 2
- Meteor Shower
- Amtrak Electro-Motive E8 diesel in cab (“A”) and booster (“B”) versions
- Amtrak Phase I and Phase II E8 liveries
- Single- and dual-headlight E8 versions
- E8s in “as built” and rebuilt variants
- Amtrak Phase I livery baggage car, 48-seat coach, 10-6 sleeper, dome-coach, and diner
- Seaboard Coast Line GE U36B and SCL freight equipment
- OS: Windows® 7 / 8.1
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB - 1GB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 40 GB HD space
- Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos
- Graphics: Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required