The first BRCW Type 3s were rolled off the production line in 1959, entering service that December; the initial batch of 65 locomotives was delivered until 1961, and then a second batch was completed by 1962, totalling 98 locomotives across 3 main variants.
Once in regular service, the Type 3s quickly became a staple throughout the Southern Region, and particularly in the South Eastern Division to begin with, working principle passenger and freight services to Dover; steel trains between Sheerness and Willesden, cement runs, engineering trains, and the list goes on. They were also used in the South West, where a subset of locomotives were fitted with SR multiple unit equipment so they could work push-pull trains to Salisbury and Weymouth that originated from London Waterloo.
Their widespread success in transforming key services throughout the Southern Region gave the Class 33s a keen following, and it is probably the reason that 29 have survived into preservation, including some which are mainline certified, not a bad effort for a fleet pushing for 60 years old. Two of the preserved locomotives; D6566 (33048) and D6575 (33057) “Seagull” have found a home on the West Somerset Railway, both operational and sporting the classic BR Green livery.
The Train Sim World BR Class 33 now joins the BR Class 47 and BR Class 09 to further bring to life the heritage festivities of the West Somerset Railway route’s diesel gala.
Please note: Train Sim World: West Somerset Railway is required, as a separate purchase, in order to utilise the content featured in this add-on.
- BR Class 33 diesel locomotive, including D6566 (33048) and D6575 (33057) “Seagull”, as preserved in BR Green “half yellow” livery
- Highly authentic driving characteristics and interactive controls, including scrollable head code blinds
- Includes three engaging scenarios and an interactive tutorial for West Somerset Railway
- Operable in Service Mode in West Somerset Railway with more than 15 services to take control of
- OS: 64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8 / 8.1 or Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.7 GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 270 with 2 GB VRAM or more
- DirectX: Version 10
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 20 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
- Additional Notes: Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller